Christmas is my favorite holiday, as I’m sure it is for most of you! Since I help my clients ‘unlocking new doors’, of course houses and homes are on my mind often. I love driving around with my husband after dusk, looking at all the lovely Christmas lights in the community – each house is so unique and I truly believe the decorations outside can show the personality of the people inside.
That being said, I don’t always have time to get lights put up outside my own house, but I usually try to decorate inside – bringing the spirit of the holiday to my home. Below are some tips to decorate for Christmas, ways to involve the entire family, and bring joy to your home. There are many more tips, I’m sure, so I would love to hear yours as well!
- The Christmas Tree – I am a fan of a “theme”, instead of random ornaments, lights, and decor. Perhaps you have a collection of meaningful ornaments – make that your theme! Perhaps you love white and minimalism – use that theme to decorate your tree. The kids, of course, will want to help!
- Wrapping paper – Use kraft paper with twine, or a solid color paper with sparkling twine and evergreen boughs. My favorite way to wrap is to coordinate the paper with my tree. If I am using a white theme to decorate the tree, white wrapping paper wrapped with twine and an evergreen sprig is the way to go.
- In the dining room, swap out your tablecloth for a Christmas colored on, and use candlesticks and other objects of various height for the centerpiece. Christmas greens on the table are beautiful in my opinion!
- Hang a wreath on your front door, above your mantel, or really, anywhere! A fun idea with wreaths is to make your own – I know there are several places around Central IL to attend a wreath-making class. My friends in Princeville, IL own a Christmas Tree farm called Cinnamon Tree Farm, and you can make a fun girl’s night out of it!
- Garland everywhere – on your front porch, around your door, on your mantel, on your banisters. Not only will your bring Christmas inside, but the smell is wonderful as well!
So many other ways to bring Christmas inside your home, but these are some of my favorite. It’s always a lovely surprise when I take clients around to ‘unlock new doors’ and the houses we tour are decked out for the season. It brings joy to everyone, and I believe this season is all about joy.