Summer is the best in Central Illinois. The sun is shining, the days are longer, and the pace is slower. I know many of my clients are going on vacations, but I hope we don’t miss out on the amazing opportunities we have right here in our own community to enjoy the beauty that surrounds us. Our community offers some wonderful ways to enjoy the season, both indoor and out! Here’s a few of my absolute favorites.
- Sankoty Lake Campground. This campground offers so many ways to enjoy the great outdoors! Whether you are into fishing, camping, beaching, boating, kayaking, or hunting, Sankoty Lakes is absolutely worth a visit. Who would have thought that we had such an amazing and expansive outdoor experience right here at our fingertips? It’s new, so go check it out for yourself! Jeff and i just took our grandkids there for a wonderful weekend.
- Wildlife Prairie Park. If you have any kids or grandkids to entertain this summer (or if you are a fan of wildlife yourself!), this is a must-see! There are acres upon acres of amazing wildlife to explore, and it is just outside of Peoria. You can either go for a day trip or make a weekend out of it in a tent or a luxury cabin. It’s such a fun place to make memories as a family.
- Art at the Bodega. When you need a little break from the summer heat, consider checking out Art at the Bodega in Washington, Illinois! It is sometimes hard to prioritize hobbies and artistic expression, so this is an amazing place to explore your creativity. They offer refreshments while you paint on canvas, pottery, or wood. Whether you want to take a class there, or host a little party for your girlfriends, this is such a unique, local place to check out this summer!
- Luthy Botanical Garden. I love exploring a good botanical garden. This one is right next to the Peoria Zoo, and a lovely place to stroll through. Consider exploring it before grabbing dinner in Peoria (there are so many great restaurants to try), after visiting the zoo, or with an iced latte in hand on a warm summer afternoon. There is nothing that soothes the soul quite like a well-kept garden, in my opinion!
- Spirit of Peoria. If you are looking for something a little more exciting, but don’t want to go too far from home, you can spend an afternoon out on the water on the Spirit of Peoria – the riverway paddle-wheeler. They offer live entertainment, food, and several different destinations to choose from. What a unique experience, right here in our community!
I would love to hear what some of your favorite ways are to enjoy the summer in central Illinois, or to hear about your experience if you happen to try any of the things I mentioned above! Supporting our local community is something I’m always passionate about, and central Illinois has so much to offer. I wish you all a happy and memory-filled summer!