There’s a reason “Spring cleaning” is a thing. After spending the majority of our time indoors over the winter months, it is normal to accumulate a little more mess and clutter. But as the Spring flowers are in full bloom now and as we head into Summer, many of us find the new energy we need to give our homes a thorough deep cleaning. This is the perfect time to jump in and do that cleaning you’ve been wanting to get around to!
Some of my favorite tips for Spring and Summer cleaning:
- Declutter first. Studies show that clutter can contribute to a more stressful lifestyle. When we are in a cluttered environment, our brains send the signal that our work is not done yet, leaving us unable to fully relax. So, before you pick up the first spray bottle or rag, take the time to declutter your home! A great way to start eliminating clutter is to crack open that notorious “junk drawer” and put in some new dividers, throwing away anything hanging out in there that may truly just be “junk.” This is also helpful if you are looking to “unlock new doors” soon and move!
- Create a game plan. After the clutter has been removed, create a game plan for what you would like to clean. Make a checklist and then prioritize the most important things and biggest projects so you are sure to take care of those first. This is also a great time to employ help from the others in your home and assign tasks, so everyone is on the same page. Cleaning is much faster and more manageable if you have a “team!”
- Work top to bottom. This is the basic rule of cleaning. Remembering this approach can help you know what to do first and where to go from there to accomplish the most thorough cleaning job. Start with the ceiling, dusting fans and cleaning any cobwebs that have accumulated, then move to walls and windows, furniture, and finish with the floors.
- Give the kitchen a little extra attention. As we all know, the kitchen is the heart of the home. And arguably the room that gets the heaviest use in the home. Because of this, your kitchen might need a little extra TLC! Start with wiping down all the cabinets, backsplash, handles and appliances. Disinfect the garbage disposal, clean out the fridge, steam clean the microwave, and deep clean the oven. Don’t forget to remove stains from frequently used items, like cutting boards and coffee mugs. The extra time and emphasis placed on the kitchen will pay off the next time you go to prepare a meal and are met with a clean and fresh environment!
- Don’t forget the outdoors. And after you’ve checked everything off your list indoors, don’t forget to give the outdoors a little attention as well! Especially with Summer practically here, you will want to be sure that your outdoor furniture is clean and inviting, your grill deep cleaned and ready for use, and your porches freshly dusted and swept.
I hope these tips make your house cleaning seem just a little more manageable and get you on your way to enjoying a peaceful and fun-filled Summer of memory-making!