If you’ve got a move on the horizon, I know there are a million and one things running through your mind! There’s so much excitement and anticipation, but also a lot of little details that need to fall into place. It is my desire, not only to help you “unlock new doors” of your dream home, but also to alleviate as much stress as possible along the way! One way to do that is to plan strategically so that you can save some money as you move. Here are the top 5 ways you can cut moving costs:
- Declutter first. The more items you have to move, the more time, energy, and money will be required. So, before you even start to pack the first thing, declutter and purge whatever is no longer serving your family! This could be excess clothes, worn out kitchen utensils, the stuff that has accumulated under your bed, or even some pieces of furniture that you no longer want or need. You can donate these items, or even have a garage sale to raise a little extra cash for your move! Not only does this eliminate stress on moving day and save money, but it also feels so nice to settle into your new place with a fresh start and only the things that you really want to have with you!
- Pack up yourself. Even though it can feel overwhelming at first, if you do your packing yourself instead of hiring a moving company, you can really cut down on moving expenses. Some ways to make it feel more manageable are to start packing in advance, just doing a little at a time, instead of trying to tackle it all in a day or two. Or consider hosting a “packing party” with a few friends and family members! If you provide some freshly baked cookies or order in a few pizzas, you will probably have more than a few willing volunteers. 🙂
- Be creative with packing supplies. One moving expense that can be eliminated is packing supplies! Although people usually think of bubble wrap and cardboard boxes when they’re packing up for a move, there are so many other money-saving ways you can pack! For example, wrapping breakables in towels, dish cloths, and even clothes you would be packing anyways can be a great way to kill two birds with one stone!
- Time it right. Especially if you are renting a moving truck or hiring a moving company, the time that you choose can really affect the pricing. Avoid moving in the summer, if possible, as that is when rates are the highest. And if you are able to book in advance and prepay for the moving services, you are often offered a discount as well!
- Rent the right truck. This is one way that you can really cut moving costs. Renting a truck too big for your needs will cost you more money, but a truck too small for your needs will require more trips back and forth, which can add up as well. By taking time to determine the truck that best fits your moving needs, you can save a little cash in your moving budget!
I hope these 5 simple tips are a helpful way to make your move seem a little more manageable, and easier financially! One final tip that deserves mention is to plan your meals in advance. This is a small thing you can do that really helps when it comes time to move! We often don’t realize how much food we have stored away in our pantries and fridges, until we have to pack all of it! In the weeks leading up to your move, take “inventory” of what you have in your pantry, fridge, and freezer, and try to plan meals that will use up what you already have on hand. Not only will this be helpful for your budget in general, but it will also save time and money when it comes time to pack up and move to your new home. I am cheering you on as you move and settle into your new place!