As the Pumpkin Capital of the World prepares to celebrate the 2018 Pumpkin Festival, I figured I would provide some fun facts about this annual, and extremely popular, event in Morton, IL!
– The first Morton Pumpkin Festival took place in 1967, and came to life to be an annual fund raiser for the town.
– The Pumpkin Festival celebrates the beginning of pumpkin harvesting and canning at Libby’s Pumpkin Plant.
– 85% of the world’s canned pumpkin is processed at the local Libby’s Pumpkin plant.
– In 1978, Morton was declared the “Pumpkin Capital of the World”.
– The Festival brings in about 70,000 visitors.
– Libby’s Pumpkin became the official sponsor for the Morton Pumpkin Festival in 2012!
The question is, how big of a pumpkin fan are you? Excited to see everyone this weekend, and feast on everything pumpkin!