Thanksgiving is past, so that means Winter is here! And as we come to the end of another year that held many joys, but also unforeseen challenges and curveballs, a season of celebration is even more welcome! Christmas brings meaningful traditions, extravagant meals, and time with family and friends. Yet, there are many moments leading up to this holiday, especially when everyone is home from work and school, that should be savored as well. Here are some of my favorite ways to celebrate these days with your family in the Peoria area:
- Ice skating. This is a guaranteed way to make any ordinary day feel a little more magical! We have a few locations in the Peoria area that offer ice skating. What a wonderful way to enjoy the winter season, to make memories as a family, and to get in a little exercise as well. Don’t forget to finish the experience by picking up a warm cup of hot cocoa or cider at your local coffee shop!
- Light show. You don’t want to miss East Peoria’s Festival of Lights! This drive-through light display earned the award for “The Great Christmas Light Fight” last year, and for good reason, everyone wants to be there! If you’re looking for a fun family outing to get in the spirit of the season, you will love the light show.
- Painting pottery. Fired-Up in Peoria Heights offers the unique opportunity to paint your own pottery! They have the option to customize some fun seasonal pottery, such as a Christmas tree or snow man to display for the holiday season. And if you’d rather paint something you can use year-round, they have endless options to help you get creative! What a great place to make memories with those you love.
- Visiting the Riverfront. Peoria’s Riverfront offers countless ways to spend the day as a family. With many amazing restaurants to choose from, the Peoria Riverfront Museum, various shops to browse through, and constantly changing live music and entertainment, there’s always something exciting happening! Especially during the holiday season, they have a full schedule of festivities to choose from.
- First Ascent Peoria. This is a great indoor activity that still gets the blood pumping even in the Winter! You can choose different rock walls to climb, and different challenging levels as well. Bring a group, and have some fun! Jeff and I love taking our grandkids here in the Winter.
- Holiday Market at the Cannery. On December 4 this year, Four30 Scones is hosting this amazing holiday market, showcasing many of Peoria’s finest vendors! Whether you have Christmas shopping left to do, or just want to spend an afternoon eating delicious food and perusing through some of our community’s amazing local offerings, this is a market you will not want to miss! There are a lot more local markets, so be sure to check them out and shop local.
I would love to hear from you as well! What are some of your favorite family activities in the Peoria area? I wish you all a sweet winter season of memory-making and enjoying family.
Leave a Reply