As we are beginning to close the last chapter of 2021, there’s so much excitement for 2022 and all that it may hold! I love to take December as an opportunity to not only look back on the year that has passed but also to plan for the next one. With the constant ups and downs of life, I am thankful for the fresh outlook that a new year provides. What a great opportunity to reflect, to breathe, and to prepare for what lies ahead.
As a realtor, I enjoy staying up-to-date on the interior design styles that are currently trending. Home design is constantly evolving and shifting, so the beginning of a new year is a great time to consider where we might be headed next. Here are five design predictions for the upcoming year!
- Natural, sustainable materials. In the recent past, we have seen a growing desire to support sustainable design in many areas of life. Whether it be ethical clothing, environmental architectural design, or styling our homes, this is a shift we can all get behind. In 2022, we can expect to see even more upcycled and naturally sourced elements!
- Bioliphic design. The word “bioliphic” refers simply to the natural human desire to connect with nature. In this upcoming year, prepare to see the outdoors coming in! Decorating with houseplants has been a growing trend in the past few years, and this only shows signs of becoming an even more prominent element of interior design in 2022.
- Curved furniture. It seems that all the unsurety and changes of the past two years has left people with a deeper desire for comfort in their homes. This is evident in the shift we see in furniture as well. Softer lines and curved furniture will be taking the stage in the upcoming year.
- Vintage influence. Although vintage and antique styling has been a beloved look for several years, we may see even more flea market finds and family heirlooms on display in the upcoming months. This ties into the lean towards sustainability, and I am thrilled about it. There are so many treasures to be discovered from generations past!
- Soft and bright tones. Neutrals have taken the prominent role in home styling for a while now, and they are here to stay. Although, we do see that the neutral palette has decidedly shifted towards warmer undertones than the previously embraced grayscale. This year, mixed in with these neutrals, we will be seeing some more bright colors come into play! Along with the green tones influenced by nature, you can expect to see some earthy burnt oranges, jewel tones, and even a dusty pink.
I think we have a lot to look forward to in 2022! I hope you have a Happy New Year, filled with joy. I am thankful for each one of you, and for the many new doors that have been unlocked in 2021. May God bless you, friends!