Everyone is eager to get outside and make the most of these warm, beautiful days! Luckily in our area there are some wonderful ways to enjoy the sunshine and make memories together. I love that you don’t have to go far from home to find activities that everyone can enjoy – young and old, outdoors and indoors. If you’re looking for some ideas of local Summer activities, here are a few to get you started!
- Stroll through the Peoria Zoo. The Peoria Zoo is a great place to spend a summer morning or afternoon! With six different exhibits each featuring different animals, as well as daily presentations, there is so much to see here. Especially if there are kids or grandkids in your life, this is a great place to make some Summertime memories together. The Bloomington Zoo is just as close and just as exciting – go to both this Summer and compare your favorite animals from each!
- Try your hand at axe throwing. This one is tailored for the adventurous teens and adults! There are two great axe throwing locations in the Peoria area – Gone Social and Rocket Axe Throwing. Axe throwing is such a unique and memorable experience, and a great way to do team building or entertain a group this summer! My grandkids love it!
- Find a trail to bike. Whether you are into mountain biking, or simply enjoy the occasional spin on a bicycle, Peoria has some great trails to check out! The Rock Island Trail is a nice and approachable one for the less intense bikers. It was originally a railroad, but was converted to a paved trail in 1989, and is a beautiful scenic path that follows the Peoria Greenway. Kinsey Park is another great place to go this summer, with biking trails that range from beginner to expert, and are all named after scenes from the Wizard of Oz!
- Go to a Riverfront event. The Peoria Riverfront is one of Peoria’s highlights any time of the year, especially in the summer! They have amazing shows, markets, community days, pop-up restaurants, tours, and so much more to offer. You can access their event schedule online to see what piques your interest and plan a fun summer day at the Riverfront.
- Explore at the Bloomington Playhouse. If you are looking for a fun summer activity with littles that provides a break from the heat, the Playhouse is where you want to be! They have so many fun ways to engage kids of all ages as they play and learn and explore. What a great way to spend time with the special little people in your life!
I hope you all have a wonderful summer, full of sweet time with friends and family and enjoying all that our community has to offer. I’d love to hear what some of your go-to summer activities in our area are as well, so feel free to drop a comment below.