As the days grow shorter and colder, it is time to shift gears towards enjoying cozy days indoors! The Winter months provide plenty of opportunity to “hibernate” in our homes, as well as to host friends and family and share our space with others. Regardless of how we use our space, our homes hold comfort and warmth for us and our loved ones during these months. Because of this, it definitely pays off to be proactive about making your home environment a place that is welcoming and restful. I have pulled together five minor home renovations that will help make your home just that much more of a cozy oasis:
- Repaint walls. Not only does a fresh coat of paint change the style of your home, but it also makes it feel so much cleaner! Whether your walls are a little smudged and marked, or you simply feel ready for a change, painting your walls is a sure way to give your entire home a facelift!
- Update light fixtures. During the winter months, lighting in the home is especially important. With the days being shorter, it can really benefit the mood and atmosphere of the home to have lighting that creates a sense of “calm.” This can be as simple as replacing burnt out bulbs or switching out bright white lights for warmer hues. It can even mean replacing light fixtures that are worn out or dated to energize your space.
- Makeover the fireplace. Especially throughout the holiday season, your fireplace will really set the tone for your home’s ambiance! It is amazing what a fresh coat of paint on the mantle or refinishing the fireplace surface can do. This one renovation may have the biggest impact on creating a beautiful and fresh environment for you to enjoy throughout the winter!
- Add some backsplash. If your kitchen is currently without it, you may be surprised what a difference the right backsplash can make! Not only does it make keeping your kitchen clean so much easier, but it also adds interest and visual appeal to this much-used area in your home. Especially with holiday baking and hosting on the horizon, this is an inexpensive way to make a big difference in your home!
- Upgrade hardware. Replacing loose or dated hardware in your house is one of the most reasonable, simple, and effective upgrades you can make. Simply switching from chrome to gold, or from stainless steel to black, can really upgrade cabinets or furniture, and ultimately improve the feel of the whole room.
I hope these simple, practical home upgrades inspire you to make your home a place you want to be and to share with others even more this winter! I love that there are so many ways to give your home a fresh look and new energy without breaking the bank. Here’s to the cozy days ahead, friends!