One of the best things about Winter in Central Illinois is the feeling of a warm and cozy home. There’s something about a blazing fireplace and an inviting indoor space that would turn almost anyone into a homebody during the coldest months. And with the weather just beginning to turn cool, now is the perfect time to begin working on renovations and updates that you can enjoy all winter long! Here are five of my favorite ideas for this winter:
- Update your fireplace. The fireplace is in many ways the central aspect of home life in the winter. The cozy ambiance it holds is what the Christmas songs all sing about, right?! Consider installing a mantle if you don’t have one already, touching up or painting the brick around your fireplace, or putting in glass doors so you can better enjoy the amber glow.
- Install built-in bookshelves. Almost any room in the home would benefit from built-in bookshelves. They are the perfect place to store not only books, but also candles, plants, picture frames, and Christmas decorations. Set up a floor lamp and a cozy chair close by and you have the perfect place to cuddle up and enjoy a hot drink.
- Add some skylights. I love skylights! They serve two purposes: providing more natural lighting and warming up your home. In my opinion, a home can never have too much natural lighting! It brings a natural brightness and warmth to your space – both of which are super important for the Winter.
- Turn your bathroom into a spa. Few things seem more luxurious than a lovely bathroom. Simply installing glass shower doors and a new shower head can do wonders for upgrading your bathroom experience. Adding a light dimmer enables you to create a calm and relaxing atmosphere anytime of the day. There are also a few small changes you can make to transform your bathroom, like buying matching dispensers for lotion, soap, cotton swabs, and other toiletries. Or consider buying a bathtub caddy to set a candle, some Epsom salts, or a bath bomb on.
- Finish the basement. If you have a basement that you have been waiting to finish, what better time than now to get started?! As you prepare to spend more time inside for the coldest months of the year, why not add more space in your home to be enjoyed? The basement is a great place for an in-home theater or a sitting area with a library. Whatever your vision for your basement is, be sure to incorporate lots of textiles in this space, such as rugs, throw blankets, and fluffy pillows. They help to bring the warmth and charm that set the tone for relaxation and comfort.
I love the anticipation that accompanies this time of year. You can feel the cool in the breeze and it reminds us of the seasons of celebration, tradition, and warmth that await us. I am wishing you all joy as you prepare your home and your heart for the cooler season that is quickly approaching!